Thursday 28 May 2015

Time to try my Brusho Paints!

The Clarity Challenge theme for May 2015 is clocks, and I was struggling a bit to come up with any ideas really this month. In the end, I went with the KISS rule - Keep It Simple, Stupid!

I've been quite inspired by the fabulous backgrounds that I've seen people create using watercolour paper and Brushos, so I thought I'd just have a go, and maybe try the letterpress technique using one of my Clarity Stencils.

What do you think?

I pierced a hole in the top of the Brusho pots, and used it like a pepper pot as I'd read this was the best way to control the amount you dispense. I did 3 or 4 shakes of Emerald Green, and a couple of shakes of purple, then spritzed with water a few times and left it to airdry.

Then I inked up the Clarity clockwork stencil with Black Archival ink, and wiped away the edges to give a rough circle outline. I letterpressed this through an embossing machine onto the watercolour paper, so the final result actually has quite a textured embossed image.Finally I wrote some "timely" phrases around the edge of the circle, trimmed down the watercolour paper, and matted onto some emerald and black card to finish it off.

I thought about adding some flowers and leaves for embellishment, but in the end decided against that - remember the KISS rule - hoping that less is more.... Susan x

22 comments:

  1. Like the way you have done this your back ground looks good good luck clarity challenge xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for making a comment, and I was really pleased with the background too - I'll certainly be doing more with the Brushos, as they were really easy to use. Susan x

      Delete
  2. Susan, I love the Brusho background and your circle of phrases add a perfect finishing touch. Good luck in the challenge and thanks for entering. ;~}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shelagh. I just need to decide who to send it to now! Susan x

      Delete
  3. I do love those brushes very nice background and card design. Good luck in the challenge and thank you for entering. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol - the background was so easy to do, I'll certainly be experimenting a bit more with them. Susan x

      Delete
  4. Love it Susan...your KISS was spot on! Best of luck in the challenge xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emma! Hope all your aches and pains from your adventure are starting to subside? Really well done - it's such a massive achievement! Susan x

      Delete
  5. Like your KISS rule Susan. 'Sometimes less is more' certainly works here. Love your background. Take care with your brushos, I remember my daughter knocking over a little pot and we had to replace a carpet. Good luck in the challenge x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lesley. Thank you for the warning about the Brushos too - a little certainly does go a long way, so maybe I'll cover the holes with some tape when I'm not using them! Susan x

      Delete
  6. Love this Susan - I think you were right about the less is more too - I think it's great the way it is. A great colour-combination too (I must admit, Brushos are my favourites!).
    Thanks for entering the challenge and good luck! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carole. I'm really looking forward to experimenting a bit more with them, as they are just such vibrant colours, Susan x

      Delete
  7. Like your idea Susan and the KISS rule. Your Brushos background is lovely too. I'm a big fan of Brushos like Carole. Thank you for entering the Clarity challenge. Good luck!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angela, I'll have to check out your blogs to see if I can get some more inspiration on how to use them in different ways, Susan x

      Delete
  8. Sometimes less is more, and all we need is a KISS! I love the brusho background and your hand written border Susan. Thanks for entering the Clarity challenge, and good luck. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barbara - it's always hard to know when to stop with some designs, but I do like quite simple cards myself. Susan x

      Delete
  9. Great card, don't think you are the only one to get stuck. Very pretty card. Thanks for entering the Clarity Challenge and good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for leaving a comment Naomi - glad I'm not alone in getting stuck for ideas! I do love the challenge for helping to give me ideas and really making me try different ideas and products - it's easy to keep doing the same thing sometimes!!! Susan x

      Delete
  10. What do I think? I think it is lovely and the KISS principle worked brilliantly. My plan for this month flew into my head right at the beginning, but I still took till a couple of days ago to get it into action. I agree that the challenge is so good for making me think about what I could do. Good luck in the Challenge. xx Maggie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maggie - funny that how you sometimes know just what to do and other times it's like walking through treacle! Susan x

      Delete
  11. I love your card Susan and the brusho background is fab. I've had a play with brushos but resisted buying any so far. Lx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laurane - they are a bit addictive once you get started! Susan x

      Delete