Thursday 21 January 2016

Say it with flowers

Hello and thanks for looking in. It's been a while since my last blog - too busy travelling, entertaining guests over the festive season, and now doing some decorating, but finally I found some time to play in my craft room this week in order to enter the Clarity Challenge for January 2016.

I had a card to make for a 1 year old this month, and really had to think how to use flowers in the card for little Betsy, as I have got into the habit of only using floral stamps and motifs in cards for older people. Still, it's called a challenge for a reason, so here's my take on the theme!


I took some inspiration from the "Torn GelliPlate" design that Barbara Gray showcased on her YouTube blog on 22 April 2014 (http://barbaragrayblog.blogspot.com/2014/04/youtube-tuesday-torn-gelli-plate.html), but did the technique in reverse. So I started by tearing a piece of copier paper in half to act as a mask, and taping these to the top and bottom half of my card leaving an area ready to be stencilled. I then used the chicken wire stencil from the Clarity Basic Backgrounds set of 5, and added some Picked Raspberry Distress Ink using a Clarity Stencil brush. Next, using the same ink pad and a piece of Cut N Dry foam, I randomly inked through the two flowers from the 7X7 NDC vases stencil. Finally, when the stencilled ink was completely dry, I used Spun Sugar Distress Ink and another Clarity Stencil brush to apply a light coat of pale pink ink into the whole aperture area before removing  the paper mask, and outlining the edges with a Black Micron Pen.

Using the LetterBox stamp set and a black archival inkpad, I stamped out Betsy's name and age onto some pink patterned paper, and cut these out. I punched some flowers from deep pink card and stuck these across the top white area of the card, adding a few gems as flower centres. Then I stamped 3 of the wee girls from the Wee Folk Stamp Set 2 in black archival ink, and added a little butterfly punched out of black card with the sentiment for balance.

Finally I added a think black and wider deep pink card matt before mounting the panel onto an 8X8 white square card. I think the deep pink card has come out a little orangy in my photo, but in real life it was a really good match with the Picked Raspberry ink colour.

Hope you like my offering and I'd love to read your thoughts if you would like to leave a comment. Thanks, Susan x


22 comments:

  1. Very cute idea for your little cherub , I just love those wee children . Joy now Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comment Jan - I really appreciate it.

      Delete
  2. A very pretty card is like how you have used the wee children stamps. Thank you for entering the challenge and the best of luck. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. A fabulous card Susan and a great take on the Clarity Challenge this month....just as well you had little Betsy's birthday to inspire you. Wishing you luck and thanks for sharing your artwork with us. Enjoy your weekend x

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very pretty card for a little one. The torn paper mask has worked really well and your stenciled patterns make a great backdrop for the wee children. Good luck in the challenge x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice like your idea and colour good luck in the clarity challenge xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting and commenting Crafty - I really appreciate the feedback.

      Delete
  6. Hi Susan,
    Love your card and explanation as it is an excellent ' fit' for the brief. Must commend you on 'Betsy' too as it was my granny's name. Thanks again for joining the Clarity challenge and best wishes! ;~}

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Shelagh - can't take any credit for the choice of name,as she is my nephew Andrew's baby! I love all the old fashioned names that are coming back into use though x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very pretty perfect for a little girl. Thanks for entering Susan and good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Susan, this is a really beautiful card and I bet Betsy loved it..one to treasure...
    Hope you are keeping well....hugs...Jo. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Jo. We're doing well thanks, and trying to get all those "little jobs" done in the off season. Hope you're OK, and sorry that I can't come to the next couple of Glasgow workshops, best wishes, Susan x

      Delete
  10. Susan this is a delightful card for Betsy. A lovely composition and colour too. Thanks for joining the Clarity challenge this month. Good luck! x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this Susan. A lovely card for a One year old, so clever. Good Luck. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynne - your project was just so beautiful I am in awe! I hope she liked it, and I won't be too upset if she just chewed it! Susan x

      Delete
  12. This is cute and a great design! Good luck in the challenge ! X

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Jackie - I really appreciate you leaving me a comment. Thanks so much, Susan x

    ReplyDelete