Tuesday 30 January 2018

Klimt Challenge Canvas

So this post is dedicated to the Klimt inspired challenge on the JJJMA Facebook page, where the brief was to use the colour gold, and modelling paste to create a Klimt inspired piece of art.

Here's a photo of the kit I used to create this canvas, although I also used some Grunge paste (texture paste) to create dimension on the project, which I forgot to include in the photo!

Firstly I used the brayer to randomly apply some of the Fresco Finish paint and the gold paint to a square canvas which was already pre-prepared with a gesso base. I used a piece of card to clean the excess paint off the brayer and then sprayed the residual paint on the craft sheet with water and mopped up the drips onto the card to make a base for a masterboard to use in another project.

Next I used the grunge paste through part of a Claritystamp stencil to apply to texture to the edges of the canvas board, making sure to wash the stencil and spatula straight away to remove any residual paste.
Whilst the paste was drying, I stamped the Miss Austen stamp by Indigo Blu onto a piece of white card using the Tim Holtz stamp platform, a black Versafine ink pad, and heat embossed with clear powder. Then I replaced the card in the same position on the stamp platform, reinked parts of the stamp with Versamark ink, and heat embossed again using gold powder. Finally, using a versamark pen, I inked some of the check design and other features of the stamp, and embossed those areas with gold embossing powder. I had seen this technique used on a design on Pinterest a long time ago, and was trying to find a project to use it on, and this was the perfect project!
Next I fussy cut around the image, and using two Distress Oxide inks, I applied background colour using the water spritzing technique (drying the droplets between each application to create layers), and finally using a blending tool, I applied ink around the edges of the cut out image.


Next I used some red acrylic paint to randomly stamp some small star shapes from the Indigoblu Victorian Garden set across the centre of the canvas, and then applied flitterglue to parts of the fussy cut image, and the texture paste, and covered the flitterglue with gilding flakes and removed the excess with the scoochy sponge. I finished the canvas with a little gold paint dry brushed around the edges of the canvas.

Here's the finished canvas. I hope you like it! The most important thing to me though is that I was challenged to do something different, way out of my comfort zone, and prompted to use a technique I'd been wanting to try for a really long time.

Thanks for visiting and I'd love to receive any comments or suggestions that you have that will help me to grow in my creative journey. Susan x

No comments:

Post a Comment