Friday 16 February 2018

Using up what's on your desk!

I've been lacking a bit of crafty inspiration recently, maybe because we're in the 3rd month of a major building refurbishment so everything is a bit displaced and messy. I've been mainly sitting watching films whilst it's been so cold outside and noisy and dusty inside, and have been knitting a jacket. Now I remember why I prefer crochet to knitting, as it grows so much quicker!

Last week I decided to try to tidy up in my craft room a bit and went in to find such a lot of "stuff" on my desk top! Then I remembered someone telling me that sometimes the best thing to do when you needed to find somewhere to start with your creativity was just to use up the things that were on your desk.

I'd been experimenting with some Brusho powder backgrounds, and had a whole pile on my desk, so that was my starting point. I also had lots of "bits" of mirror and shiny card offcuts on my desk left over from making Christmas cards and tags, so I decided to die cut these using some star shaped nesting dies. Then I raided my little box containing other offcuts of plain and embossed card and cut more stars in colours that coordinated with the Brusho backgrounds, and also some numbers and little tags.

Finally I found some bright grosgrain ribbons in my stash, cut and matted the Brusho backgrounds into squares, added the ribbon through the tag, and arranged a number of the stars in a limited colour palette, overlapping the arrangement and raising some of the stars with a little double sided sticky foam. Then I just stamped a happy birthday greeting inside each card.



I've ended up with six cards for my great nephews and nieces, and the children next door, and my desktop is looking much clearer. Of course, it's not really tidy, but the crafty inspiration does seem to be back! Next time I might try to use up some of the offcut pieces of white card, using stamps, embossing folders and inks to add some interest - I think this might be a really good idea for those awkward men's cards.







 Thanks for visiting and I'd love to hear if you have any comments, Susan x




No comments:

Post a Comment